If you’re interested in making a blog of your own, there are a lot of options to choose from. My personal favorite – and what my own sites are built on – is WordPress. It’s easy, intuitive, and you can do a bazillion things with the platform and plug-ins they offer. If you’re just getting started, you’re at the right place! I made a video to walk you through and have easy directions and a few other sites you may want to visit listed below.
This is a very simple explanation of how to get started – you’ll have questions (probably!), so just comment below and I’ll help you out! The best way to learn is to get in there and mess around with it yourself.
- Go to www.wordpress.com
- Decide on a name for your blog address. (You can change this later.)
- Put in your email and password.
- Choose the FREE address option. This means it will be yoursite.wordpress.com instead of yoursite.com. You can upgrade later, once you feel comfortable with everything.
- Choose a theme. You can also change this later. Play around with them – there are a lot to choose from.
- Choose FREE plan. Again, you can upgrade later.
- Customize your site. Add your logo, pick colors, add widgets, decide layout. Again, play around with your options. See what looks good and what appeals to your audience.
- Widgets are described more around the 5:00 mark of the video. Widgets can add contact forms, archives, etc…to your sidebar or footer or wherever.
- Most themes allow you to choose ‘static’ front page or ‘latest post’ – Static is going to be the same front page always, latest posts will update your home page to your latest blog post. I like “latest post”.
- Write your first post. Type away. Formatting options are above the main content area. (Check out video around 7:00 mark.)
- Add images, if you wish. To do this, first add them to your media library. Click on the “Add Media” button and upload as many images as you wish. Pick the image you’d like and insert it into your post. You can align it left, center, and right.
For blogging tips, check these out.(There are a TON of other good sites – just Google it!):
Happy Blogging! Leave a link to your new site below!