John F. Kennedy
Birth: May 29, 1917
Death: November 22, 1963
Term of Office: January 20, 1961 – November 22, 1963
Number of Terms Elected: 1 term; Was assassinated while in office
First Lady: Jacqueline L. Bouvier
Major Events While in Office:
- Peace Corps created (1961)
- Bay of Pigs (1961)
- Berlin Wall built (1961)
- Alan Shepard, Jr. became the first American in space (1961)
- Twenty-Third Amendment was ratified giving the residents of the District of Columbia the right to vote in presidential elections (1961)
- Cuban Missile Crisis (1962)
– John F.Kennedy’s father wanted one of his son’s to be the first Catholic president.
– Debates between Nixon and JFK were the first ever to be shown on television.
– During Kennedy’s presidency, the “Space Race” between the Soviet Union and U.S. heated up as well as the Cold War.
– JFK asked Congress to create the Peace Corps. Through this program, Americans volunteer to help underdeveloped nations in areas such as education, farming, health care, and construction.
– First Lady Jackie Kennedy brought style and grace to the White House. She redecorated the White House to make it a showcase.
– Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 while riding in an open car with his wife in Dallas, Texas. Lee Harvey Oswald was charged with his shooting. Oswald was murdered before he could stand trial.
– John F. Kennedy appears on the U.S. half dollar
Some of the above information was found at: