Basketball is one of our favorite sports to watch and play – especially this time of year! We found some cool facts about basketball for you guys and have a printable 2015 bracket at the bottom of the post.
- James Naismith, a teacher at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, is credited with inventing basketball in 1891.
- The first “hoops” were actually just peach baskets and the first backboards were made of wire.
- The original basketball basket was closed at the bottom; a ladder was needed to recover the ball.
- Repeated bouncing of the ball (dribbling) was illegal in Naismith’s original rules.
- The only member of both the football and basketball hall of fame is Cal Hubbard.