Flowers are beautiful, wonderful things that are easy on the eye and have hidden uses and secrets you’d never know about if it wasn’t for articles like this! Here are 10 awesome facts about flowers.
1. Roses are related to apples, raspberries, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, pears and almonds.
2. Tulip bulbs were more valuable than gold in Holland in the 1600s.
3. Some species of bamboo develop flowers after 65 or 120 years.
4. Some daisies open their petals in the day time and close them when sun sets, giving them the name “day’s eyes”.
5. Two thousand roses are needed to produce one gram of rose oil!
6. The juice from bluebell flowers used to be used to make glue.
7. Sunflowers move throughout the day to the movement of the sun; east to west.
8. Gas plants produce a clear gas on humid, warm nights. This gas is said to be ignitable with a lit match.
9. Moon flowers bloom at night and close during the day.
10. Tulip bulbs can be substituted for onions in some recipes.